Monday, May 7, 2012

Slow Cooker/Grilled Baby Back Ribs Recipe and Experiment

In the off season from tailgating I like to experiment with new recipes.  A trial run so to speak for the big day.  On Sunday I decided to do baby back ribs in the slow cooker.  I'd seen a version of this on Taste of Home website but I decided to go with my own version.

Ingredients:

  • Rack of Pork Loin Back Ribs
  • Famous Dave's Rib Rub
  • Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce
Directions:

First start out with the meat.  Safeway had a "big meat sale" last week so I bought a couple of racks of extra meaty pork back ribs to try it out with.


I took the ribs and cut them into chunks with two bones in between.  Then I took them and coated them with Famous Dave's Rib Rub.  (I'm sure you can make your own but I didn't have the time or the patience on Sunday to do it).


I took each section of rib that I'd cut and sprinkled some Rib Rub on the front and back and put in a ziplock bag for a couple hours.

Then I took my 6 quart crock pot and put the ribs in against the sides and along the bottom with the meaty side against the wall.  I took the BBQ sauce and drizzled over the tops. 




I let the ribs cook for 6 hours on low.  I then took them out to the grill which I preheated and grilled them for a minute or two on the meaty side.  Just enough to give them that smoky BBQ taste and the crispy outside.  I put them in a tray and used some of the BBQ sauce that I had left to brush a light coat on them. 



They turned out great!  Everyone at the birthday party loved them and the meat was so tender it fell off the bone!

For the tailgate I will cook in the slow cooker overnight and finish them off on the grill at the actual event.

No comments:

Post a Comment